Coverage A - Dwelling Coverage

Dwelling Coverage generally insures the structure, your house, and attached structures from damage resulting from these risks or perils:

  • Fire and lightning
  • Windstorm, hail, tornadoes and hurricanes-in most states
  • Explosions
  • Theft, vandalism and malicious mischief
  • Riot and civil unrest
  • Damage from vehicles
  • Sudden, accidental damage from smoke
  • Objects falling from the sky
  • Weight of snow, ice and sleet
  • Accidental discharge or overflow of water from your plumbing
  • Freezing of plumbing
  • Sudden, accidental tearing, cracking, burning or bulging of a steam pipe or hot water heating system

Coverage A does not cover damage caused by:

  • Earthquakes and Floods. Depending on where you live, Hurricanes may not be covered, either. If you need to insure your home against these risks, you may be able to buy an additional policy or endorsement for each of these.
  • Theft by someone who is named on your homeowners policy as an insured party.

Uninsurable Risks There are some events almost no insurance company can cover. These include damage resulting from:

  • War
  • Nuclear accident
  • Termite, pest or rodent damage
  • Pet damage
  • Willful damage caused by you or another covered person in your household
Back to the 6 Most Common Parts of a Homeowners Insurance Policy